The Hilton West Palm Beach hotel is another great project that we are proud and that achieved LEED Silver certification. The project is a twelve story, 312,213 square foot luxury convention center hotel located in the heart of a South Florida city and is connected to a neighboring county convention center. The Project offers a 4-star guest experience with 400 rooms, including luxury suites, meeting rooms, executive lounge, hospitality and luxury suites, fitness center, pool and amenity deck, alfresco dining and its own convention spaces, banquet facilities and board room. The exterior landscape amenities feature a bar, open terraces, fire pit, event lawns and resort pool. The Project was envisioned as an Urban Contemporary Design, locating a resort experience in the midst of a downtown. It takes its imagery from the existing convention center with its strong vertical window patterns, bold horizontal clearstory, and deep overhangs, becoming a transition, an urban link between the tall residential building to the east and the lengthy horizontal convention center to its west.
A true urban resort & Florida destination for their global traveling guests, the building is designed to blend the interior to exterior experience and bring in light and air, with light flooding into the public areas through oversized windows, a broad light filled entry court created by angling the main façade of the hotel away from the street grid, and an expansive pool deck open to the sky for both the hotel and the convention center to enjoy.
This project was also selected as an official nominee for the USGBC South Florida’s Gala Verde Most Outstanding LEED project.
Some of the sustainable credits and features include:
- The Architect specified and the Contractor installed a high reflectance roofing material for 75% of the roof surface.
- Reduction of potable water use for landscaping by 50% was achievable using efficient irrigation techniques and drought tolerant plants.
- The Architect specified and the Contractor procured sustainable products for the Project. These products contained just over 23% recycled content and over 39% of the total building materials were manufactured and extracted within 500 miles of the project site.
- Glazing with a Low E coating, building insulation and an SBS Modified Bitumen roofing system w/ a high SRI rating were employed to maximize energy efficiency.
- The quality of the interior spaces was addressed thru the use of low emitting materials, monitoring of ventilation systems & controllability of lighting and thermal comfort.
The success of the project is attributed to the collaborations of the entire team, starting with the vision of the Owner, leadership of the LEED Consultants and the efforts of the entire Design and Construction team. “Planning for and introducing sustainable concepts early in the process was pivotal in creating as seamless a process as possible and ultimately resulting in exceeding the target goals initially established” said Brittany Storm, LEED Project Manager with The Spinnaker Group.
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
The Spinnaker Group Services Rendered: LEED Consulting, Building Commissioning, and Energy Modeling
Contractor: Coastal Construction
MEP: Steven Feller, PE
Civil Engineer: Kimley Horn
Landscape Architect: Stantec
Certification Level: LEED BD+C New Construction – Silver