Snapshots of the projects noted below are in the following format:
- Project / Location
- Rating System / Award Level /
- Spinnaker Services -- e.g., Consulting, Commissioning, Energy Modeling
- Architect / Owner / Contractor
- Square Footage
Broward County Judicial Complex Midrise / Fort Lauderdale, FL
LEED NC / Gold / 10/30/2018
Spinnaker Services: Consulting, Commissioning, Energy Modeling
Russell and Dawson / Broward County / Lucini / Pirtle Construction
The Spinnaker Group provided LEED Consulting, Building Commissioning and Energy modeling for this 62,113 sf judicial complex. The major renovation for Broward County achieved LEED Gold certification in 2018. The project was an integral part of the Complex’s re-development, acting as a critical support facility to the adjacent courthouse and its associated services. The work encompassed the full renovation and interior construction fit-out on four floors of the midrise building. Sustainable design features of the renovated building design include:
- Use of approximately 40 percent less water than a typical building of its size.
- Use of approximately 15 percent less energy than a typical building of its size.
- Diversion of more than 300 tons — or 97% — of all construction waste from the landfill.
- A comprehensive indoor air quality plan, including use of low VOC construction materials and materials with a high percentage of recycled content; as well as installation of sustainable furniture throughout the facility.
- Implementation of a green cleaning program.
- A parking garage that includes preferred parking for 89 energy-efficient vehicles.
First District Court of Appeal / Tallahassee, FL
LEED NC / Gold / 8/23/2011
Spinnaker Services: Consulting
Barnett Fronczak Barlowe / Spillis Candela DMJM / Eugenio Nicoloso - DMangSvcs / Peter R. Brown
Headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida, the state capital, this LEED Gold Certified building was designed to emulate early 20th-century courthouses. The poured-in-place epoxy terrazzo with its classically derived pattern reinforces and unifies the traditional architecture of the structure. Highlighting the dramatic space of the circular lobby are alternating black-and-white diamond shaped terrazzo panels, increasing in size as they radiate out from the cast bronze State Seal of Florida centered in the floor.
It is unique among the five Florida District Courts of Appeal in that, much like the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit at the federal level, it handles most of the appeals in state administrative law matters. It is also solely responsible for handling appeals in workers' compensation cases. Learn more here.